An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

March 31, 2008

Not a Huge Fan

I am not a big fan of Tulips. Don't get me wrong, when they are blooming in the garden or in a vase they are spectacular. However, in our area they should be considered annuals or expensive squirrel food. Here are a few that I saw at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens on Friday. They were planted in the All American Selections test garden. If you need to know the names, I am sorry I did not note any of them.










4 comments:

  1. SURPRISE
    YOU MUST COME AND SEE THE GREAT MOVIE
    PLS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pic's of the Gaias gift to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like some of the species tulips, but the more subtle ones. I also tend to enjoy watching a tulip flower whither and die - in that the petals distort into interesting shapes and into interesting angles - but they are most definitely not a bulb that I give much attention to, or depend on. That said, a bouquet of tulips in the springtime is always a welcomed treat - and will always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Les, the tulips are beautiful even if you are not partial to them. I noticed that many of the petals are curled inward, is that a reaction to hot temperatures? I usually don't care for the brightly colored ones but I do love the 'Angelique' a white with pink blush double tulip. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete