An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

November 15, 2015

Bloom Day - Normal Can Be Nice Too

     This Bloom Day finds just about everything in its place where it belongs. There have been no recent bouts of severe weather; we haven't even had a frost yet, with the lows dipping no further than the low 40's. Some of what I have to show this month was shown in October, and looking back over previous November Bloom Days, I really don't have much new to offer. As the tired phrase goes, it is what it is.

     I brought this variegated Plectranthus home from work, it was a leftover from our summer plantings, and what a trouble-free plant it has been. Recently the powers that be concluded coleus is really Plectranthus, and you can see the family resemblance in the flower.
Plectranthus amboinicus 'Variegatus'

Odontonema cuspidatum

      Ricin 'New Zealand Purple' was yet another leftover, and I love the backlit afternoon light coming through the foliage. The pink azaleas are my neighbor's, but I don't mind borrowing the color, which also looks good with Salvia 'Wendy's Wish'. 
Ricinus communis 'New Zealand Purple'

Salvia x 'Wendy's Wish'

Tagetes lucida

Ajania pacifica

     Late last spring it was hard for me to settle on plain old wax leaf begonias for my three porch planters, but I could not think of anything that could handle three different light situations and still look good. Here it is mid-November, and they are blooming their heads off. 
Begonia semperflorens

Callicarpa americana

     The camellia below is 'Autumn Rocket', which was developed locally by the late Dr. Habel in Suffolk. He bred many camellias and kept them straight by numbering them, but he did allow a few to be developed, named, and sold commercially, and this is one of those. It is a narrow camellia, only growing about 3' wide but 10' tall. Interesting story: on our last trip home from Colorado, we had stopped at a rest area in Nowheresville, Missouri. While I was walking the dogs, a man seeing our license plate asked what part of Virginia we were from. As we were talking I found out he was Dr. Habel's son, and he and his wife were also heading home to Virginia from Colorado. Of course I had to tell him how much I liked his father's camellia. 
Camellia sasanqua 'Autumn Rocket' (1)

Camellia sasanqua 'Autumn Rocket' (2)

     Garden Bloggers Bloom Day is held on the 15th of each month and is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

17 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful Camellia! How interesting to meet the developer's son. I don't think I've ever seen that many berries on a Beautyberry Bush before - wonderful!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beautyberry had a good summer, with ample rain falling when it was forming its berries. Having all the foliage off helps too.

      Delete
  2. I love your camellia and the story! Sometimes it's such a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be a small world at times. I can see why you like 'Autumn Rocket'. Happy GBBD Les!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of my favorite camellias, mainly for its shape.

      Delete
  4. That Odontonema cuspidatum is gorgeous, especially in combination with the Hydrangea leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Loree! It has been going strong now for two months.

      Delete
  5. Your garden is full of gorgeous things. Love the story of your meeting Dr. Habel's son in nowheresville as much as I love that gorgeous camellia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! The fall has been kind here.

      Delete
  6. I don't know how closely related they are, but Angelwing Begonias are one of my most favorite annuals so I can see why the waxwings are performing so well. No November Bloom Day here unfortunately so I will live vicariously through others. Happy GBBD Les!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Angel Wing Begonias too, but they don't come in inexpensive cell packs, and I needed many to fill those planters. I hope you can enjoy some indoor blooms.

      Delete
  7. How amazing that you met the son of the man who developed your Camellia. What are the chances?! Your garden still looks lush and full of life. We're about to plunge into winter here in the north--but this is later than usual. What an amazing autumn we've had--sounds like you have, too. Gorgeous plants and photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden may look lush, but for some reason this has been a lackluster fall in the surrounding landscape.

      Delete
  8. I too like that Firespike, and thanks to Danger Garden for the latin name. You are definitely a zone warmer than we up in NOVA. As everyone else has mentioned, that camellia story is quite the coincidence. Something about traveling that can make people more inclined to connect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sarah, thanks for stopping by. Yes, indeed we are bit warmer than you in the winter, but after the last two, I am ready to move further south.

      Delete
  9. Happy GBBD! I love the close up of the camellia; you captured its translucent, fragile beauty. At this time of year, I really notice the difference between the south and the north. Thanks for sharing your local color.

    ReplyDelete